Delay when creating Lighthouse ticket

Galen

02 Mar, 2009 08:17 PM

I find I often create a Lighthouse ticket for internal discussion (I'd still rather do this within Tender but I think that's coming).

The little workflow bottleneck here is that once you're returned to the ticket screen, it shows that a ticket has been created but it doesn't have a number or status yet. I then refresh but sometimes it's still not ready in which case I have to refresh again before clicking on the ticket to take me to Lighthouse.

The reason I'm doing this is that I've found it's best to create the Lighthouse ticket with no additional notes and then go through to Lighthouse where I can choose who I assign it to and who gets notified—that's when I'll put my follow up note, too, so I know they receive it.

Does that make sense? Any thoughts?

1. 1 Posted by Kyle Neath (Git... on 02 Mar, 2009 08:58 PM

The delay there is definitely on purpose. When you create a new ticket, Tender has to talk to Lighthouse, and Lighthouse has to talk back to Tender. This process can be slow, and if one service is having problems, has the capacity to result in an error. For these reasons, we push this process into a background job so that errors can be retried, and you don't have 30s-5m pageloads when creating a ticket.

If you're looking to who to assign it to & who gets notified, we'll always be improving this form and hopefully you'll be able to do this right from the inline form eventually. In the meantime, you can assign Lighthouse tickets using the bracket syntax. So in the ticket body, you might have something like this:

Widget X is broken because of reason Y. [responsible:Kyle]

If you have a user who starts with "Kyle" (for example, my Lighthouse name is "Kyle Neath") it will automatically be assigned to them.

2. Kyle Neath (GitHub Staff) closed this discussion on 02 Mar, 2009 08:58 PM.

3. 2 Posted by rick on 03 Mar, 2009 12:48 AM

We're looking into polling techniques to update it live while you're viewing the page... However the time is usually so brief that it's not a huge deal.

The queuing system came in handy recently when a new deploy added a bug to ticket creation. It didn't interrupt anyone's flow in Tender. The jobs just waited patiently for me to fix the bug and retry.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Tender please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac