customise "awesome search for discussions/faqs/users"

Jo O'Brien

21 Jun, 2009 11:59 PM

Hello all you fine people,

We have an issue whereby all searches default to public discussions when we really really really need them to default to our knowledge base. The public discussions are of relatively little value to our customers and because they are community generated may contain incorrect information, however our knowledge base articles are created and managed by us and are what we want to people to find above all else.

At first look I can't find a way to customise which section the new awesome search lands on. Is this possible? (I have been known to stare into the fridge calling out "where's the milk?" when it's right in front of me) Or if not, is it planned as an improvement? It's a great feature, thanks for all your hard work :)

Jo RedBubble.com

1. 1 Posted by Will on 22 Jun, 2009 07:39 AM

Hey Joe,

I was actually trying to contact you all yesterday over email but the email listed on the redbubble account ownership was bouncing back.

Anyways, that is actually a rather good point and something we might not necessarily have thought of from our end, where it's product driven support and the public discussions are extremely helpful. I'll bring this up with the dev team in the morning and see what they think.

2. 2 Posted by pstyles on 22 Jun, 2009 07:47 AM

ahh ... the problem is that the account listed as 'owner' for RB is a dummy account that we used just to set up Tender - can you switch it over to me?

3. 3 Posted by Will on 22 Jun, 2009 07:50 AM

Sure thing, I've gone ahead and made that switch and I'll email you in a few moments with what we were sending out to accounts last night.

4. 4 Posted by rick on 22 Jun, 2009 04:48 PM

Gah, I don't want yet another checkbox, I may just switch it so that FAQs are default for everyone. Though we should be adding a combined FAQ/Discussion search that's heavily weighted for FAQs.

5. 5 Posted by rick on 22 Jun, 2009 05:14 PM

Okay, deployed the fix. We'll see if anyone wants the old way back :)

6. rick closed this discussion on 22 Jun, 2009 05:14 PM.

7. Jo O'Brien re-opened this discussion on 25 Jun, 2009 04:09 AM

8. 6 Posted by Jo O'Brien on 25 Jun, 2009 04:09 AM

It seemed to be defaulting to the knowledge base for a while there but is now defaulting to public discussions consistently again.

Sorry, I hate to be a pain but it's a fairly big deal for us.

Thanks for your help

Jo

9. 7 Posted by Kyle Neath (Git... on 25 Jun, 2009 05:22 AM

Hey Jo,

I just checked and it seems to be defaulting to FAQs for me: can you double-check? Also, take a look in the Site settings page, we turned this into an option for the time being.

10. 8 Posted by pstyles on 25 Jun, 2009 10:31 PM

Okay I see ... when we search from the admin area it's defaulting to discussions but from public pages it's defaulting to FAQs. Not perfect - but it's okay.

11. 9 Posted by rick on 25 Jun, 2009 10:54 PM

Ah, I forgot about that search box. I'll fix it -- but we're thinking
    we may just have a combined search as the default. Show the top 5
    faqs and some discussions, with links to each to get a full search if
    desired

12. 10 Posted by pstyles on 25 Jun, 2009 11:14 PM

yeah ... i think that's a good way of doing it

RedBubble.com
    ..............................................................................

PETER STYLES

Unit 21 2-6 New Street
    Richmond, VIC 3121
    Australia

US: 415 692-5275
    Australia: 1300 66 77 01
    Direct: +61 4 1856 6737

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Tender please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac