Unclaimed discussions redux

Damien

05 May, 2014 10:58 PM

Hi guys,

I'm afraid I don't understand the purpose of unclaimed discussions. More often than not my users don't seem to realize they can claim them, so the messages get lost in the ether unless a support staff claims them. And as support if we're expected to claim every unclaimed discussion that pops in our queue, why not have that done automatically? Or better yet, instead of directing them to a login page after they've posted, why not do it beforehand so this situation couldn't arise at all?

I found a related discussion at the following link, but nothing seemed to come of it: http://help.tenderapp.com/discussions/problems/26795-savvy-end-user...

1. 1 Posted by Julien on 05 May, 2014 11:22 PM

Hey Damien,

Unclaimed discussions exist because otherwise any user could masquerade as any other user: all you have to do is logout and create a discussion with the email address of a legit user, and it would appear as such to the world. This is a problem in particular for forums, where a malicious user could wreak havoc by posting terrible content as a legit user, before any staff could notice. Unclaimed discussion therefore offer a "moderation" step to make sure the user is legit.

We also can't force users to login before they post because we always want to make it easy for users to post without having an account, and we can't know "in advance" that the user currently writing a comment will use an existing email address, which is why they have to login "after" and not "before".

That being said, the workflow is still imperfect, and there is room for improvement.

I guess my question would be: why do you get so many unclaimed in the first place? Where do your users come from? Do they not know they have an account?

Thanks.

2. 2 Posted by Damien on 05 May, 2014 11:30 PM

Hi Julien,

It's only about 1 every other day so it's not overwhelming, but it is an extra step and prevents a direct reply to issues via email, so it would still be nice if it could go away. Other ideas - what about just treating them as an anonymous poster as if they'd never created an account in that instance? Some javascript could add a warning as they type in their email address that it will be posted anonymously unless they log in. Or what about emailing them a confirmation link instead of asking them to log in, so the required step is less likely to be overlooked?

3. 3 Posted by Julien on 05 May, 2014 11:57 PM

Hey Damien,

An AJAX check is not a bad idea. I created a ticket for this, but it's not high on the list of priorities. We'll let you know when we get to it.

Cheers.

4. 4 Posted by Damien on 05 May, 2014 11:59 PM

5. Nicole closed this discussion on 05 Jun, 2014 03:34 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Tender please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac