Using text links in email templates

Richard Parslow

04 May, 2022 10:27 PM

Hi there

I have 2 questions about the email notifications that go out to customers.

1. I'd like our emails to have the 'View this discussion online' link under the title of the discussion, like yours do (see first screenshot). Right now ours show the full URL, which is a bit ugly. What's the syntax to use? Ours currently has:

View this discussion at our support site online: {{ url }}

What do I need to enter on that line to make it appear correctly?

2. There is a new blight that is affecting our customers' ability to receive our emails. Some security in the email client clicks all the links in incoming emails – which of course includes the Unsubscribe link. So I'd like to delete that link from our emails, but I can't find it in the template.

FYI here is the full text of our template:

Subject: {{ title }}

{{ comment }}

{% if assets.size > 0 %}Attachments for this comment:{% for asset in assets %}
- {{ asset.filename }} {{ asset.url }}
{% endfor %}{% endif %}
{% if subscribed_to_category %}
View this discussion at our support site online: [{{ title }}]({{ url }})

You're receiving this email because you're subscribed to the '{{ category }}' category.
To change your subscription preferences, please visit {{ host }}/profile/edit#notifications, or reply to this email with #unsubscribe
More information: https://help.tenderapp.com/kb/email-integration/commands
{% else %}
View this discussion at our support site online: {{ url }}
{% endif %}

Richard

1. 1 Posted by Richard Parslow on 04 May, 2022 10:28 PM

PS I looked on your suggested support pages and could not find the relevant syntax (or how to remove the Unsubscribe link).

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Courtenay on 04 May, 2022 10:38 PM

OK, so,

1) are you using HTML formatted emails? it would look something like this

<p style="margin: 10px 0">
     Having trouble reading this? 
      View this {% if private and user %}PRIVATE {% endif %}discussion 
       online: <a style="color: #555;" href="{{url}}">{{title}}</a>.</p>

2) that comes from sendgrid, so i'm currently deep in their configuration to put an extra step in there so it doesn't just unsubscribe everyone.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Courtenay on 04 May, 2022 10:40 PM

That's mostly just the default email template, i f you go to settings - email setup - email templates - and just make a new template you'll have all that filled in by default. Then can modify and set to whatever category you want.

4. 4 Posted by Richard Parslow on 04 May, 2022 11:01 PM

1. are you using HTML formatted emails?

Ah, apparently not. I guess we'd need to upgrade to have that facility, right?

1. Thanks! I'm don't think we need that unsubscribe link anyway: I don't know if we have any people 'subscribing' to receive notifications about discussions they didn't start, so it's causing a lot of trouble for no benefit.
  5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Courtenay on 04 May, 2022 11:07 PM

the unsubscribe is a requirement when you're sending bulk emails; it helps with deliverability a lot. I'll try and make it turned off for certain sites.

Back story: annoyingly, some spammers will 'sign up' for tender with (other) people's email addresses. I think it's to validate addresses to send spam to, or something? Of course those people getting a 'you've signed up at random support site', didn't, and report as spam, or their mail server then report as spam, so we get flagged, our reputation score for our IP goes down, our mail just doesn't get delivered... It's a huge pain. So the link serves a purpose where it doesn't reduce our 'score', just stops that person getting more mail from the spammer doing whatever it is they're trying to do. We've added some checks against various spam blacklists and now prevent sending a bunch of signup emails to new addresses if they don't actually sign up with them.. it's a constant battle.

6. 6 Posted by Richard Parslow on 04 May, 2022 11:36 PM

Wow, those spammers are sneaky; and cause the rest of us a lot of pain.

the unsubscribe is a requirement when you're sending bulk emails

We're not sending bulk emails though: we're sending specific email replies, one at a time, to people who contact us. Can we not take the Unsubscribe link out of those emails (ie the replies on discussions)?

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Tender please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac